Happy Wine Day! Do you really need an excuse like Wine Day to raise a glass? We’d guess not. But in honor of the occasion, we recommend checking out the top picks for delicious warm weather imbibing from Beverage Director, Jeffrey Davison:
White wines typically pair well with lighter dishes as they won’t overwhelm vegetables, which are ever-more present on menus especially in the summer months when produce is abundant. The citrus-y qualities of white wine go well with hors d’oeuvres which tend to be intensely flavored and need wines with a bit of bite to match them.
In general choose lighter-bodied wines, not heavily oaked varieties like California Chardonnay. However you can find lighter oaked wines such as the Assyrtiko from Greece listed below; despite being oaked it it is a great, minerally white.
The Albarino shares similar characteristics, as wines from this region, Rias Baixas, come from a river valley not far from the sea.
Vermentino is also a great warm weather white.
Rosé is experiencing a serious comeback, which is no wonder to us! It’s a lightweight, fruity wine ideal for beach parties and picnics. Plus you can find many great bottles that won’t break the bank.
The recommended reds are medium-bodied not heavy like Zinfandel, Cabernet or Burgundy. These are the most versatile wines when it comes to food pairings, as most food, especially at this time of year, doesn’t call for a big red wine.
Here are some specific wines to try:
- Dr. Konstantin Frank, Dry Riesling 2013 (US)
- Martin Codax, Albarino 2012 (Spain)
- Tenuta Campo Al Mare, Vermentino Bolgheri (Italy)
- Craggy Range, Sauvignon Blanc 2013 (New Zealand)
- Gaia, Thalassitis-Oak Fermented Assyrtiko (Greece)
- Laurenz V, Sophie Singing Gruner Veltliner 2013 (Austria)
- 2010 Mulderbosch, Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé (South Africa)
- (Sparkling) Lucien Albrecht, Cremant d’Alsace Brut Rose (France)
- Coppo L’Avvocata, Barbera D’Asti 2012 (Italy)
- Red Tail Ridge Finger Lakes, Pinot Noir 2012 (US)
- Feudo di Santa Tresa, Cerasuolo di Vittoria Classico 2012 (Italy)
- Las Rocas, Garnacha Vinas Vieja 2012 (Spain)